Ex toto non sic pueri ut viri curari debent “ (In general, boys should not be treated in the same way as men )- Celsus
Course At A Glance
- Course: Fellowship in Primary Care Paediatrics
- Total Duration: 1 year
- Hours per Week: 4 – 8
- Medium of instruction: English
- Fee is US $ 1000
About the Course
According to WHO, almost 19,000 children under five years of age are dying every day across the world. India tops the list of countries with the highest number with around 18 lakh such deaths annually. For India, despite it being one of the fastest growing economies, there has been no visible pattern between per capita income growth and the rate of reduction of child mortality rates. One-third of all malnourished children live in India. Of the 26 million children born in India every year, approximately 1.83 million children die before their fifth birthday.
More than two thirds of the infants die in the very first month of life. 90%of these deaths are due to easily preventable causes like pneumonia and diarrhea.
Every child has the right to survive. We can reduce the numbers of children dying from easily preventable causes. Most of the children who die each year could be saved by low cost, evidence-based, cost-effective primary care practices such as vaccines, antibiotics, micronutrient supplementation, insecticide treated bed nets, improved family care and breastfeeding practices, and oral rehydration therapy. These low cost primary care interventions could reduce neonatal mortality by up to 70 per cent. General Practitioners have a very important role to play in reducing the neonatal mortality.
To address this important problem, Commonwealth Medical Evarsity has launched the Fellowship in Primary Care Paediatrics to equip the General Practitioners with the latest clinically relevant information, and to mentor them in competently handling all aspects of paediatric disease.
Objectives of the Program
The One year Fellowship in Primary Care Paediatrics aims at providing a General practitioner with comprehensive up-to-date knowledge and skills in the prevention and diagnosis and treatment of paediatric disease in their clinical practice.
At the end of this course, the General Practitioner will be able to provide better primary paediatric care. They will acquire the following knowledge and skills:
- Ability to integrate current information on any aspect of primary care pediatrics into general practice
- Ability to communicate effectively and empathetically with children of different ages and their families: both to get complete, accurate histories, and to explain clinical findings and treatment plans.
- Ability to perform the physical examination of children – how to interpret vital signs at different ages, how the pediatric evaluation is different from the adult examination
- Ability to chart the weight, height, head circumference & BMI; and to recognize obesity or failure to thrive .
- Capacity to advise mothers regarding Breast-feeding issues
- Educate families about prevention: including immunizations, safety, violence, sex, and substance use.
- Use of the immunisation chart,& to know what immunizations a child needs at a given age.
- Calculation of drug dosages for a child based on body weight and age
- Capability to recognize the critically ill child, and when to refer to a specialist.
- Ability to Diagnose, prevent and manage common pediatric conditions.
MBBS/MBchB/MD doctors with medical registration in their respective country Medical Council.
Course Delivery Format
Taking leaf from Winston Churchill’s philosophy of “always ready to learn although … not always like being taught”, Commonwealth Medical Evarsity is transforming medical education by garnering learning empowered by the interactive platform of digital technology. Commonwealth Medical Evarsity model of blended education integrates best practices of ‘chalk and board’ with emerging technologies, purporting to make mockery of fragmented medical care, that is the bane of the rising costs of health care today!
The Commonwealth Medical Evarsity offers best of the models of blended education through online lectures, with the convenience of self-study at one’s own pace, time and place, complemented by online faculty interactions and clinical exposure through hospital rotations.
A rich learning environment is provided through a Learning Platform with access to:
- Online lectures delivered by experts in respective fields. The students can view the lecture any number of times using tools to conveniently play/pause, forward/rewind, skip/review, bookmark
- Included in these lectures are hundreds of text slides, illustrations and appropriate 2D and 3D animations, audios and videos to make concepts easy to understand
- Reading material including prescribed Text book and e-Books for each chapter; additional reading material would also be suggested through links.
- Facility for the student to bookmark specific segments of a running lecture and ability to add your own notes for later review.
- Weekly self-assessment through multiple choice questions from a question bank of over 1,00,000 questions across all subject areas
- Case based discussions [CbD], where you will be expected to select 2 specific cases during the period of compulsory clinical rotation under the guidance of in-house clinician and ensure completeness of the Logbook for the cases decided.
Fellowship in Primary Care Paediatrics follows a set pattern of formative online assessments. Following are the types of assessments/examinations that each candidate is subjected to:
- Self Assessments, scheduled online at the end of every lecture and are neither timed nor graded.
- Weekend Graded Assessments [WGA] comprise a predetermined number of MCQs to be answered in a stipulated period of time. These are graded assessments and once submitted cannot be reattempted for a better score. The scores will carry considerable weightage towards formative assessments of theory.
- Semester[ Semester – 6 months duration]-end Assessments [SA] are also MCQ Examination at the end of every semester
Course-end exam: The final exam, consists of 40 to 50 MCQs.
The Course fee is US $ 1000
Join the Program