Certificate in Genetic Counseling acquaints doctors with the core concepts of Human Genetics and understanding of the psychological basis of counseling; so that they can continue their practice with comprehensive knowledge of Genetics; duly prescribing Genetic Tests and interpreting related reports or practice as Genetic Counselors.
Course At A Glance
- Course: Certificate Course in Genetic Counselling
- Total Duration: 24 weeks
- Hours per week: 3 – 4 hours per week
- Medium of instruction: English
- Fee is US $ 600
About the Course
The last few decades have witnessed an exponential growth in knowledge, catapulting genetics from obscurity to a pre eminent place in health-care. New information about causative genes, disease diagnosis and available treatment options for several single gene and complex genetic disorders as well as several birth defects, are now known making disease diagnosis and treatment easier. It is critical that clinicians learn about these developments and incorporate this knowledge into their practice.
Each and every patient should be able to benefit from individualized therapy based on their unique genetic makeup; however, this can become a reality only when clinicians are able to comprehend the genetics behind the diseases and syndromes. More importantly the implications of these must be explained to the patients and relatives in a professional and compassionate manner. Such education and counseling accompanying genetic testing is provided by Genetic Counselors in all developed countries; this kind of professional training is being given for the first time in India for clinicians.
The doctors could practice as genetic counselors or continue their practice with comprehensive knowledge of genetics, duly prescribing genetic tests and interpreting related reports. The course will also give them an understanding of the psychological basis of counseling.
MBBS/MBchB/MD doctors with medical registration in their respective country Medical Council.
Course Delivery Format
- The course is a hybrid mix of self-paced learning using pre-recorded lectures that can be accessed online or offline.
- There are scheduled Active learning sessions with a Subject Matter Expert.
- This course requires contact sessions in hospitals equipped with Genetic Labs.
Panel of Instructors
- Admissions to the course would be batchwise.
- You may register online ..
The course fee is US $ 600
Join the Program
- Lewin’s Genes XI by Jocelyn E. Krebs, Stephen T. Kilpatrick, Elliott S. Goldstein
- Human Molecular Genetics by Tom Strachan, Andrew Read
- Emery’s Elements of Medical Genetics 14th edition by Sian Ellard and Peter Turnpenny
- Practical Genetic Counselling 7th Edition by Peter S. Harper
- A Guide to Genetic Counseling by Wendy R. Uhlmann, Jane L. Schuette, Beverly Yashar